1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Monday, April 18, 2011

BLEND

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.
Coco Chanel


I bet Coco Chanel knows a thing or two about blending things (color, scent, accessories) together into some genius creation that can never be repeated. 
I've never bought Chanel No. 5, but after my son's adventures in finger painting the other day, I'm considering the investment, solely for the example of how being different can be amazing wonderful and legendary.
Landon has painted before, but not ever with as much knowledge of colors as he now has.
He was much more interested on what was occuring on his paper plate as he dipped his hand into the different colors than anything he was creating on his paper.
"Mommy, what color is that?"
I had literally no answer.  The red was still red, the yellow still yellow, and the blue still blue, but the result of the blend was some sort of weird reddish brown I was sure had never been seen before, let alone given the dubious distinction of being named.
"Well, that's a color you just made up, so you get to name it."
He didn't care to name it.  Instead it was sufficient to being painting his abdomen in this color, giving my dining room the appearance of a crime scene and prompting a mid-morning bath just so I could verify that he had not actually been bleeding at any point.
But I realized in this process (here I go learning from my kids again...) that most fantastic useful discoveries of this world have come to be by blending other things together.
Examples:
Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream
Dr. Pepper (what is all that stuff in there any way?)
Beer and hockey (if you ask my husband...thank you dear.)
Elastic and denim (every pregnant woman's dream.)
Or, like Chanel No.5, which still has the status of unmatched originality in the fragrance world.

Maybe that's lame, who knows...but here's what I can tell you about my own unique blend.  When I was like fifteen(ish) I was running low on finger nail polish, so I took three bottles and mixed them together into the ultimate fusion of red, orange, and pink, and it was the craziest, girliest, most beautiful orange finger nail polish ever, and I've never quite been able to replicate it.  It didn't last long but one thing is for sure, it was unlike any other color I've ever worn on my nails, and it was the perfect blend....because you can't walk into any store and buy that.  You can't find it online and you can't go to a salon and request it.
So that's the type of person I strive to be....the kind you don't meet every day.
The kind who wears orange mixed up polish, and who isn't afraid to let another good thing blend into what I'm already creating of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?