1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TREAT

Let me just start by saying that my word today would not be possible if I had never received a much needed book of inspirational and humorous life rules, entitled You Cannot Be Serious by none other than Elizabeth Lyons. I declare her a genius and frequently stalk her Facebook page, but enough about my crazy obsessions.  (Much thanks to my pal Sarah, one of my sprinkles, for sending me said book.)
Today is all about Elizabeth's "Rule 6-Have a Designated Treat of the Moment."
For Moms everywhere, this is possibly the single best idea I've ever heard.
When I need to make an important phone call, and my two year old son is sounding the alarms of oncoming tantrum louder than tsunami sirens, I pull a treat out which affords me the time I need to take care of business.  Yes, I do realize that there is not much value in a Twinkie if you're talking vitamins and minerals, however, once in a while they can prove priceless.
It would seem this is the same concept for my very own "Mommy freak out" moments.  When I am at my very last nerve attempting to deal with the situation of the hour, I seek out a treat.  This isn't always a food treat....sometimes a simple shower with the door closed and no interruptions can suffice or a Days of Our Lives DVR marathon.  However, today, it is all about a glass of vanilla ice cream scoops with Faygo red pop poured generously over it.
Now, you wouldn't normally consider ice cream and soda a sanity mixture.  However, on a day like today, it literally helps me keep it all together....probably because I can lose myself in the utter craziness of what I'm consuming.  I know it seems like an absurd choice for a snack, but that's why I refer to it as a treat.
It isn't healthy or normal or even the best choice.
But it provides me with a service I can't get in yogurt or cheese or crackers.
I love the way the fizz almost freezes on the ice cream.
I love the color that is created by the mixture of the two.
I love the way it tastes.
I love the way it makes me feel: I'm an adult now and even though my mother would soooo not approve I am eating ice cream and soda combined.
It makes me feel a little more capable of telling my son he cannot have eighteen strawberries for dinner.
(Okay sometimes I do allow that but I try to balance it out.  Pick your battles people.)
So I would like to thank you, Ms. Lyons, for encouraging my sick devotion to all things absurd yet totally cravable (I made up that word) and delicious.  I'd like to add that I've gotten into a "Treat of the Moment" groove of sorts, finding them more with ease than ever before.
If you're in need of a Treat of the Moment, please head to http://www.elizabethlyons.com/ and see her Treat of the Moment section for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?