1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Saturday, April 16, 2011

READY

Landon taught me something this morning. 
Really, it should have been obvious to me, so I don't know why I've never thought of things this way before.
When I look at the basic pieces of my life, like being able to feed myself and use the ladies' room without incident and reading and dressing myself (scratch that....dressing myself is still a disaster), I realize that I can't recall making a concious decision to learn how to do these things. 
My only assumption is that someone, somewhere, taught me.
Most likely it was my parents (thanks Mom and Dad) but really at what point did all of this occur?
Who decided I was ready?
Was it them?
Or was it me?
Landon has been using sippy cups like a pro since he was just over eleven months old.  He didn't even have bottles, it was like he saw the curve, took it, and sped right on down the road.  Made it very easy for us as parents to know he was ready.
Now, it seems like he is constantly out of milk in his sippy cup, so I was looking around for a cup that would contain more (meaning I'd spend less time filling it) but that was still, for the most part, spill-proof.
I found these Tupperware tumblers with lids, and with a straw, so far they are working wonders for him.
After handing him this cup, and watching him drink his milk this way, looking like a fully grown man, I could have had a panic attack.  My mind flew: the first day of kindergarten, his first hockey game, his first fight, his first crush and subsequent broken heart, and graduation.
I realize that watching a child use a cup without a lid is very far from watching them accept a diploma.
But I'm still not sure I'm ready for it.
For one thing, he's still a little clumsy and I really don't have hours of extra time to clean up spilled milk all the live long day.
But also, if he is capable of using a cup without a lid, then what's next?  He pours his own milk?  And needs me a little bit less.  This wouldn't necessarily be horrible...for him.  But for me, it is bittersweet.  Both relieving and depressing.
So for now, I think I'll just keep on giving him the "spill-proof" option, and wait before helping him learn the "big boy" ways of life. 
Because I realize from my own life that these things just sort of happen, and we don't even realize it and one day he'll drive off to McDonald's where he will undoubtedly order fifty chicken nuggets and a very large drink, but at least that cup will have a lid, and a straw, and maybe at that point I'll finally be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?