1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Monday, April 25, 2011

CRACKED/COLORFUL/UNIQUE

So, all this Easter business really got me thinking how we went from a crucifixion to eggs.  Bear with me here, because my logic isn't necessarily accurate with the actual leap that was made, but in my own little world, it makes sense to me.  And please don't think I'm preaching....I am just applying my beliefs to my own life...in NO WAY am I judging the beliefs of others.

CRACKED. My son kept dropping his eggs while coloring them and they would obviously crack.  Did you know that on Good Friday, when Jesus died, the veil at the Temple was torn in two?  What does that mean, you ask?  Well, it symbolized the fact that the death of Jesus was significant enough to save us, and there no longer needed to be a veil between sinners and God; meaning they could find salvation directly through him.  The next time you crack an egg, remember that something much larger and more profound broke into two.


Saturday morning came, we had colored the eggs the night before.  We had a birthday party for twins at the Potawatomi Zoo, and we had a blast.  We were preparing more for Easter, and I was still thinking about this whole egg coloring process and the crucifixion.

COLORFUL. The story of a man rising from the dead is indeed quite a tale.  I mean, if you told me you knew someone who simply opened their coffin and walked out, I would most likely not believe you.  A colorful story is one so complex, so fantastic and unimaginable that it is hard to accept when compared with logic.  Science tells us that is just isn't possible for a person to die and then be resurrected.  God tells us otherwise.  When I see all these different colors for dipping the eggs, I almost don't believe we need that many or that there could be a purpose for them.  There is a purpose, a need, for Jesus in my life, no matter how colorful his story is.


Saturday evening I went to bed knowing that Sunday was a holiday representing salvation and a new life.  How wonderful that any person can choose this path for themselves.

UNIQUE. When I looked at all of the eggs we'd colored before making the deviled eggs for dinner, I realized that even though some of them had been dipped in the very same water/color/vinegar mixture, none of them were exactly like another.  God makes us all different, and baptism does not make us any less unique...it possibly makes us even more unique.  I chose this path for myself...but if I am comparing my religion to eggs, I am only one in a world of many many many more.  Some eggs don't have the same beliefs, lifestyle, as I do, and some of them haven't even been dunked in the color!  But I'm okay with that, and I can still be friends with and co-habitate with them, because it isn't for me to decide what is right and wrong.  And how funny that when you take these eggs and strip off their shells, mix them in a bowl with a mess of condiments and seasonings, they do become so similar and not really unique at all, and that we call these DEVILed eggs?  Hmmmmm.  Okay so I know this is a stretch but this really is the crazy way my brain works!



I'll keep my shell, which has been dipped.  I have my very own unique color and I like it that way. 
I didn't make it to church Easter morning.  But I sure have not forgotten the difference Easter makes in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?