1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Wednesday, May 25, 2011

CONSPICOUS

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.  ~e.e. cummings

Recently while getting ready for an overnight "Scrapathon", which I'll explain in a minute, I found a treasure chest of artwork, certificates, and old exams from all my years through school.

While I am extremely proud of the grades I made and the awards and accomplishments I attained, the single biggest smile while rummaging through this stack of craziness crossed my face when I found a drawing of myself from second grade, entitled:

"How I would be Conspicuous."

It is written on that off-white paper with the blue lines on it that we all learn to write on, and in the picture I'd drawn, my hair is half pink, half green, and the sun is shining directly on me.  There are hearts and flowers in the air and my eyes are blue.  

I go on to describe how my hair would be multi-colored and that I would stand out from the crown and wear red shoes.

I have no memory of actually creating this masterpiece.

I it is very obvious, however, that I don't intend to "just be like everyone else".

I find it even more entertaining that in second grade I could correctly spell "conspicuous" and yet Mrs. Tapper had to write "spray" in red ink above where I'd written "sprae".

But I find great comfort in knowing that I've always found a way to be myself and that it's always been my goal to be a little different from those around me.  I find great value in peoples' differences.

Back to that "Scrapathon", which I would describe as an epic overnight extravaganza filled with friends, food, scrapbooking, and LOTS of laughter. 

This discovery of all of the things that make me, "ME",

(A short list:
A geometry exam in which I received 35 of 30 possible points, got the extra credit!
A packet explaining my nomination for The Principal's Leadership Award.
Several essays with notes penciled in from seriously the FINEST English teachers known to the education system...thank you Mrs. Teske and Mrs. McKeeby and Mrs. Parish (LOL) for that!  I love reading your notes still.
Various notes from my Latin teacher, Magistra Miller, which when I read them somehow in my head the words sound exactly as she would have said them.
Silly things like "Love Matches" from Spanish club fundraisers and notes from CandyGrams and things that only a high school student would give much thought to.
Thank God I saved all this, if only for the entertainment purposes.)

has me considering a scrapbook of things about me, so that someday my kids can look at it and either love it or at least chuckle at my silliness, but ultimately my hope is that in at least some of what's in there they might see a little bit of themselves, and they might realize where they learned that it is perfectly acceptable and normal to want to be conspicuous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?