1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Monday, March 28, 2011

SHINE

I live in the booming metropolis of Hartford, Michigan.  What we lack in glitz we make up for in our residents.  About three years ago, we tragically lost a girl named Vanessa, but she has not stopped shining.
Vanessa was not someone I would call a close friend.  I was older than her, so didn't really know her in school.  In this town, you always know everyone in one way or another, so I knew Vanessa as Bobby's little sister.  I smiled when I watched Vanessa receive the crown and title of Miss Hartford, because I could tell that it wasn't what was on top of Vanessa's head that made her a queen.  It was what she had inside.  Now Vanessa's younger sister is following in her footsteps, and I can't help but think of her today and smile, and hope she knows her big sister is rooting for her.
Vanessa's life was short, but big.  It's not the number of years in your obituary that really count, it's all summed up in the dash in between the year you were born and the year you left.  Funny how such a small character "-" can represent so much! 
People strive for immortality in so many ways.  Anti-aging creams and ointments.  There are monuments and mountains named for scientists and politicians and stars on sidewalks with the hand prints of movie stars.  There are books written and movies made and awards and money to leave behind.  But what does all that really matter if you haven't found joy in your life and brought joy to others?
I hope that when my day comes, I've done enough with myself to have half the shine Vanessa has. 
I hope I've brought joy to others, and helped them when I could.
I hope I've given my children the tools to care for themselves, and been an example of a person living a happy life, regardless of my circumstances.
I hope I've done my best.
I find it sad that we don't get to see where Vanessa could have taken herself, and maybe the rest of us.  She was the type of person that left beauty wherever she went.  I know she'd be doing something great with herself and in some way she'd be helping others.  In a way she still is.  She's inspired me today.
We'll never get to know what sort of mountains she'd have moved or how far in this world she'd have gone if she were still here. But in this little town, she's forever made a mark.
So today is for her, and I find it no coincidence that the sun is shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?