1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Thursday, March 17, 2011

GOAL

We try so hard to accomplish so many things in life.  It seems like one moment my only goal was to get across the monkey bars without falling, and then the next it was to get through my "History of the English Language" class with at least a B. 
Now my goals vary from day to day.  I want to finish my bachelor's, but I should probably figure out what I want to do when I grow up before I take a slew of credit hours that are not helpful.  Two nights ago my only goal was to get through the night with a four hour stretch of sleep while dealing with my two and a half year old's croupy cough.  This morning my goal is to find something with at least one nutrient for breakfast and also to get that speeding ticket taken care of.
I've personally discovered that setting goals that are just out of reach to begin with is POINTLESS.  I mean, why set yourself up for that kind of disappointment.  Instead of saying, I want to lose ten pounds in two weeks, why not say I'd like to be healthier and exercise?  Or, instead of saying I'm going to learn to knit, why not say, I'll give it a try?  (By the way, I did try, and promptly decided that I can't sit still for that long, so I'll leave the knitting to people who actually know what they are doing.)
Having goals isn't just good for us, we seem to set goals for ourselves without realizing it.  I have a friend who had this idea in her head of what age she'd be married, and what age she'd start a family....all before she met a husband.  As she watched her birthday go by without a ring, wedding, etc., she experienced a form of grief I think and it made me wonder why we do those things to ourselves.
Life doesn't follow checklists.  You can make one out, cross all the items off, and then still be far from reaching your goal.  Because I believe that the fundamental goal, of all of us, is simple: happiness.
No matter what it is that you are trying to attain, you wouldn't want it if it would make you mad or sad or confused or anything but blissful.
I think the older I get the more things like having a degree, or a big nice house, or a fancy career become "formalities" of life.  How many people do those things just because society says we should? 
(I'm not negating the impact that education, and a home, and a job have on a person's life...obviously they are all very crucial to our well being and happiness.)
What I'm suggesting is that the absence of a piece of paper that says I've studied writing can't stop me from writing.
Having a huge house in a nice neighborhood isn't as important as the way you spend your time while living in your home.
Making a million dollars behind a huge desk doesn't mean you're contributing to the greater well being of yourself, your family, or the world.
Most often I've found that my most rewarding, joyful days are when I'm part of something bigger than what affects only me.  The worst days and most disappointing are the days when I don't even try.  It's like giving up before I hit go.
One thing is for sure: fear of missing the net shouldn't stop you from shooting the puck. 
Because when the horn sounds, well, that's happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?