1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Wednesday, March 23, 2011

DELIGHT

It's hard for to listen to people complain about kids doing things that kids are supposed to do.
"My kids won't stop fighting over their toys this morning."
"The kitchen floor is covered with Cheerios because my three year old made herself breakfast.  Great."
"I'm sick of fighting with my teenager to get out of bed and get ready for school."
Parenting isn't supposed to be easy.  I sure have my fair share of days where I've had about enough.
But I'm still blessed. 
I know many people who would give anything to have what I have.
So I can honestly say that I try to find delight in every moment.  Sometimes, they are just precious:
Sometimes, it's pure chaos.  Hanson pulls Landon's hair and Landon yells at him.  Landon chucks Lightning McQueen across the living room right into Hanson's shoulder, and he starts wailing.  Landon dumps his baked beans on the floor just as Hanson's diaper is at critical volume...and we all know how I feel about poop. 
But even in those moments there is pleasure.  Landon picking the car up and showing Hanson how to "drive" it.  Hanson and Landon both laughing at Mommy's "poopy smell" nose.
I see Facebook updates and read articles about people who only see where improvements can be made in their kids' actions.  But where do they think children learn these things?
It got me wondering, if my kids were to complain about me via status update, what would they say? 
Hanson's might say, "Uggg.  Mom gave me Cheerios for breakfast.  Again."
And Landon's would be close to, "If my Mommy tells me no one more time I'm going to lose it!" 
(Funny...that's the same complaint I most often hear Moms give about their toddlers.)
I don't want to hear that from my kids.  Instead I'd like it to say something like, "I found delight just sitting with my mother today."
I can start by trying it myself, with them.  It doesn't have to be a special event for it to be special.
I can find delight pretty much anywhere I decide to look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?