1000 Words....The Worth of a Picture

We've all heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes you just need one word.

Sometimes two different people can look at a picture and each has a different word come to mind.

Sometimes, a word can cover more than one picture.

This is a mash up of words and pictures that are the essence of each other. Consider it a word/picture re-mix.















Sunday, March 20, 2011

BURN

When I was about three, I was watching my Aunt Margy curl her hair at my Grandmother's house.  I had to use the restroom, and she left me to do my business with only one instruction: don't touch my curling iron-it's hot!  Well, I've always been a "see it for myself" kind of girl, and earned a small blister on my finger.
When I was six, I colored a picture and went to the kitchen to hang it on the refrigerator.  To say I'm short is an understatement, and I couldn't reach the height that I needed my picture to hang at.  So I climbed up onto a chair....and then fell off.  My inner left forearm landed on a kerosene heater.  I screamed, I cried, I almost puked, it hurt so bad.  I'll never forget that.  After a day or two, this disgusting blister formed, and then eventually healed, and then long after the pain had subsided and the wound had finally healed, I was left with this brownish area where the burn had been.  I still have it, only now my arm is much bigger, so the spot is much smaller, and it's also faded.
I learned at a young age not to play with fire.  Don't touch what's hot and you won't get burnt.
If only life were that simple.  We burn ourselves all the time.  I take a flat iron to the forehead at least twice a year.  I bite into a pizza merely seconds after it has emerged from a 450 degree oven.  I stay out in the sun too long.  I try to cross the hot sand without my sandals.  I care about people who don't care back.
I've burned bridges.  I've lit fire to goals, pictures, and friendships.
But it's not the bridges I've burned that make me who I am.  It's the bridges I've crossed. 
Getting burnt hurts like hell.  Sometimes you get a scar.  But time helps heal every wound....and I truly do mean every wound.  It's not like it never happened.  Just like the brownish area on my arm is a constant reminder of that picture I drew, you might have a blister, a scar, an indication of where the heat got too close or too hot or too much to handle. 
Let this add to your character.  Let it be a part of you that shines. Nothing is so bright as a fire!
I for one love the spot on my arm, it's become something I would miss if it were gone.
And, like burnt hot dogs, some things are even better with a little scorching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does this word mean to you?